Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II remembered with Jersey stamps
June 19, 2023
A special commemorative stamp issue celebrating Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will be released by Jersey Post on 28 June 2023. The six stamps remember each of Her Majesty’s visits to Jersey with nostalgic archive photography.
The Channel Island of Jersey enjoyed a close relationship with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II throughout her 70 years as monarch. Her Majesty made six official visits to the Channel Islands between 1949 and 2005, saying one time in Jersey’s States Chamber: “I cherish and greatly value the ancient ties that bind together the Crown and people of this island, ties that happily seem to grow ever stronger.”
The six stamps show:
- 22 June 1949 - Schoolgirl Sylvia Layzell presenting the then Princess Elizabeth with a bouquet of flowers upon her arrival at Albert Pier on her first visit to Jersey.
- 25 July 1957 - Queen Elizabeth II and The Duke of Edinburgh being presented with a display of Jersey cattle at Springfield Stadium.
- 26 June 1978 - Her Majesty visiting Jersey the year after her Silver Jubilee celebrations, arriving on the Royal Barge, having been transported from the Royal Yacht Britannia.
- 25 May 1989 - The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh visiting Howard Davis Farm to see displays about agriculture, finance and youth work, an event at which they met with Bergerac actor John Nettles.
- 13 July 2001 - Queen Elizabeth II officially opening the new Jersey College for Girls complex and meeting the students.
- 9 May 2005 - Her Majesty and The Duke of Edinburgh visiting the Island during the 60th Anniversary celebrations of the Island’s liberation from German occupation, an event at which Her Majesty met with many officials including the then Bailiff of Jersey, Sir Philip Bailhache.
The commemorative issue, entitled Commemorating Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II – Visits to Jersey, will be available to buy from all branches of Jersey Post from 28 June 2023. Philatelic stamp products such as first day covers and presentation packs will be available from the Jersey post offices at Broad Street, St Helier and Rue Des Pres, St Saviour and can be ordered now at www.jerseystamps.com or by telephoning the Jersey Philatelic Bureau on: 00 44 (0)1534 616717.